Monday 29 April 2013

Chee-Chee Part 1

What is there not to like about a giant, mutated/bionic gorilla? 


Chee-Chee comes from Infamy Miniatures and is one of the minis I picked up at Salute. I'm cracking on with my latest Scourge mini but I decided to start the prep on Chee-Chee at the same time. This is my first resin mini and I've had to adapt a little to the material. The resin itself is slightly translucent and this makes seeing any mould lines or bubbles tricky. Fortunately there are few of either and now I've got the mini assembled and undercoated I can easily see any areas I missed.
I'm really looking forward to painting this mini as I've fancied having a go at something with a steam punk feel for quite a while. I like how this mini challenges my usual inclination to go light & bright as I'm getting a dark & grungy vibe with this one.
I've also got a pretty clear idea of how I want to base this mini up and I've a few resin bits & bobs on order that will go towards helping me achieve my vision. This is one beastie that the gates of London Zoo wont be keeping in! 
The third Scourge remains my main project but it's nice to look forwards to painting something so different from everything else I've been working on recently.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, it was good to meet you at Salute and congratulations on your wins :) Hopefully you got that enormous figure case back home without any issues.

    Chee-Chee is a great mini; I bought it for Peter (Avicenna). As you say, the resin used for this cast is a bit tricky, but a lot easier to prep once there is some undercoat on there. I'm looking forward to seeing your interpretation of this mini. Happy Painting! Toosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good to meet you too. The figure case needed a seat to itself on the train home but it's got a pull-up handle & wheels so it wasn't too tricky to transport!
    I'm really looking forward to painting Chi-Chi and as you say the undercoat has really helps to spot any problems. I've ended up drilling through the mecha arm and reinforcing it with a pin as It seemed a bit thin to me to take the whole weight of the mini. It was horribly fiddly to do but Chi-Chi is now rock solid.

    ReplyDelete